Hook ‘Em

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA         Yesterday was another great day in the Texas Hill Country. I fished the Guadalupe with a few friends, and we had an absolute blast. A front had moved in the night before so the fishing was a little off kilter at first. The wind stayed strong throughout the day, but when the sun eased up, the fishing really turned on for us.

All the credit goes to Banning who persevered through our dry spell and ended our team slump in a blaze of glory. Apparently when he starts to catch fish, there’s just no stopping him.

I had a couple of small connections, but at the end of the day I finally caught up with a fat & feisty rainbow that really gave me a run for my money. But eventually I got him all the way to the net and then merrily on his way.

Man, it was a nice fish.

Afterwards we grabbed the crew from Gruene Outfitters and walked over to Gruene Hall for some live honkytonk music and cold beer. We shared fishing stories and skinny dipping stories and basically laughed until we cried. All in all, it was a damn good way to spend a Tuesday…rainbow trout, plenty of sunshine, good people, Ernest Tubb cover songs, and Texas beer.

Somebody better pinch me.

Comments
10 Responses to “Hook ‘Em”
  1. I’m beginning to think that in Texas, fly fishing’s really just a prelude to more beer drinking.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

2. Day Tripper says:

This is torture. We got a bunch of snow yesterday, more today. 3 weeks till Spring

You came thru my town and hung out at my favorite watering hole and you didn’t even call me? Shame, shame!

Glad to hear (and see) that you had a good day of it, though.

4. Dave - SLF says:

The “Hook ‘Em” title with the photo of cattle below made me think perhaps you hooked a cow on a backcast; which brought to mind a very funny short story by Kipling, called “On Dry Cow Fishing as a Fine Art” – a tale of a similar scenario. I’d recommend it. And while I realize this actually has nothing whatever to do with your post, I blahblahblah…

And that is a fine looking fish.

5. Jim@FFO says:

Heh,
    I’m gonna try to get out tomorrow, on the Mad. Licenses expire on 2-29 and I’ll be d**ned if’n I’m not gonna get out and get one more day’s use out of it. Temps in the low, low 30′s. Ice in the guides fer sure. Gotta keep that chapstick handy to clean em’ out. At least I’ll have to place to myself.
    -Jim

6. Tara R. says:

Ahh… life is good! Glad you had such a great time!

7. dmj says:

Tell me more about that fish.

8. Snapdad says:

Shiner comes in cans?

We used to get it up here in Seattle at my local quickiemart, but no longer… I still have a bottlecap out on the back porch.

9. yes sir, shiner comes in cans…

can you send beer through the mail? if so I’ll send you some

10. Alex says:

Fishing is really enjoyable activity. Sometimes, we feel angry when there is no fish comes to our fishing rod. On the other hand, if we get the fish, we will be very happy. It is the sensation of doing fishing. So, I can imagine how happy you were when catching your fish.