I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback.

I’d say this pretty much describes my week so far. Just substitute the ‘acid’ flashback for the recurring vision (and associated cold sweats) of seeing 150 second-graders all bowling at precisely the same time.

Ah, the end-of-school bowling party.

Lest you think all I do is guzzle beer, chase Texas bands and pretend to know people who flyfish…let me take a moment to set the record straight. You see in my day-to-day life I’m actually a pretty good Homeroom Mom, so I volunteered to drive a carload of Little Chick’s classmates to the bowling party. Oh. My. Word. It was hysterical.

Little Lebowski Urban Achievers as far as the eye could see.

And yet, despite wrapping up the end of school party, we’re still not done! Oh, no no no, we are inching our way across the finish line with school this year. I’m still shuttling children and delivering popsicles. Yet in the midst of my chaos yesterday, Little Chick starts chiding me because I haven’t replaced our recycling bin. I backed over the old one awhile ago and splintered it into a million shards of blue plastic.

Suddenly Little Chick cared. Deeply. She sprung into action and called on her second-grade Earth Day education to create a mini recycling center and help save my environmental soul:

recycle3

I thought it was pretty damn cute. She may have started the week as a Little Lebowski Urban Achiever, but she’s taken a definite turn toward Uppity Mountain Hippie.

recycle2

It seemed like the prefect opportunity to have a lively chat about the world’s limited natural resources. So I pulled out this cool graphic depicting the global distribution of water:

watersupply

I may as well have dropped a bowling ball on her foot. She moaned and groaned and rolled her eyes and throwing her hands in the air, she begged to be released from the whole conversation.

Oh well. For now I am just going to stick to driving, bowling and popsicles.

Comments
24 Responses to “I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback.”
  1. hooper says:

Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.
    Frank Lloyd Wright

2. Meetw/oFeet says:

That Little Chick of your is pretty RAD!

3. WT says:

The “no gas” symbol is telling. Apparently not a lot of fresh air around there, I’ve heard that about Lone Star. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

4. Kentucky Jim says:

“Recicgl”? Makes perfect sense. That’s the way it should be spelled. But that graph? What’s up with that?

5. Jennifer says:

Shocking to see how much is available for us when you look at it that way. I always remember to turn the water off when brushing my teeth and we don’t water our lawn, but perhaps I should start taking shorter showers…. Makes you think. Thanks for the wake-up call.

6. Derik says:

I have a couple of exra blue bins if you want one the fire station has got em too.

7. Itchy Dog says:

Dear Ms. Fly Fish Chick,

I found your site via a link from another blog. I have a business idea (nothing too dramatic, in fact pretty minimal) I’d like to run past you- check out my website and if you’re curious, shoot me a quick note. I promise I’m not some sort of cyber-freak ;)

8. Anthony says:

Hey Itchy – You may watch yourself and where you are going. Your screen name and message line you up with cyber freako… There are enough of us in here that protect Fly Fish Chick. She rolls with us, and can take care of herself, so tread carefully.

I am sure Kentucky Jim and others will agree.

9. Anthony — love your style darlin! how did I get so lucky to have such a loyal crew of merrymakers ride along with me here? and there’s more good news… Itchy Dog is TOTALLY cool and way, way kind

but Anthony, you are now the Official Bouncer at Fly Fish Chick. you’re in charge of running off mean-ass hooligans, breaking up drunken brawls, and saving damsels in distress

AL FLYGIRL and I will feign peril every once in awhile if things get boring…

Hmmmm…the second fly guy I have seen today that is full of piss and vinegar! (check out Deeter’s post titled “On fairy sticks and buggy whips”. I love it!

Anthony…you make a mighty fine bouncer!

11. Dustbowl Dan says:

Conservation stories work every time. Bring me a beer!

12. Itchy Dog says:

Relax, Anthony- I’m no threat to anyone here. I’m wearing a white hat, as Fly Fish Chick has attested to. And I respect your position as Alpha Male Bouncer, too ;) Cheers- it’s all good.

13. Anthony says:

Itchy Dog – These days you never know. FFChick told me about you and I wish you the best.

As for our Texas Sweetheart we will pull the shirts off our backs for her. She is too cool and down with it. So rest assured, I won’t be on you anymore. Make sure to visit us regularly and keep us abreast about your business adventures. We can look at serving you some cold ones as we have welcomed others to this blog.

As for the bouncer category – I look forward to the role.

AlaFlyGirl – Us fly talk guys are usually full of piss and vinegar and like to call it the way it is seen. We don’t sugar coat it either. If you can lead or follow, get the hell out of our way… We don’t mind forging a path less taken. But just make sure we don’t leave the pops behind.

We like it all ways.

14. Anthony says:

FF Chick – I am sure you melt and weaken many men’s knees.

As for the Godfather – that is my favorite movie. So in my role, we may need to have a swim with the fishes category.

As for which one is the best – I admire all. I don’t have any one favorite. I still do not like it when Marlo Brando dies. I have the DVD series and just watched it not too long ago straight through.

15. Itchy Dog says:

Someone mention “cold ones”? You have my attention! Thanks for the welcome, Anthony. I look forward to a heapin’ helpin’ of Southern hospitality. Maybe some ribs, too. Nothin’ like cold beer and ribs.

16. Anthony says:

Amen to that…

17. I had to smile reading this. I could see my daughter doing the same thing. The graphic would have put her into a full blown shutdown. She just knows that recycling is the right thing to do. I think it is great!

18. It is amazing that out of all the water on the planet, so little is freshwater. And, of that so little is directly available for use. By the way very funny story.

19. Hehe nice , It’s refreshing to see the young getting more involved with conservation and recycling.

With today’s rising garbage problem we make an effort to help even a little bit.

20. I love your posts! Please write more often if you can

21. PLR eBooks says:

Wow – I can’t believe this!

22. PLR package says:

This is a cool source of information. Thanks for letting us be familiar of things we don’t know. Please continue doing such.

23. Stacy says:

Isn’t it great to see how your little one realizes the need for recycling and to take care of the earth? Good job! But maybe the graph was a bit too much. :)

24. 4shared.com says:

I think the admin of this website is really working hard in support of his web page, because here
    every information is quality based information.

my page … loft conversion (4shared.com)
    4shared.com recently posted..4shared.comMy Profile