Dead Relatives Are Not Eligible

From a boat ramp on the Big Hole to a coffee shop in Austin. Funny where this little cult – uh, I mean sport – will take us. And this time you may actually benefit from my most recent small-world encounter. Let me explain.

You may recall that on my trip to Montana just a few weeks ago I met a guy named Gaper who had written a fishing book. Well in a fortuitous plot twist it turns out his publisher, Tosh Brown, lives right here in Austin Texas! Soon after I wrote my post about Gaper, a mutual friend connected me with Tosh.

Next thing you know we’re having coffee at Austin Java and brainstorming ways to spread the word about his new project. Cause it’s a good one.

It’s no secret digital cameras and message boards have redefined the relationship between fly-fishing and media. A relationship that was once a predictable, stale marriage is now a torrid and tumultuous affair.

Tosh wants to harness this same edge and energy into the world of outdoor print. He plans to publish writers that speak to (and sometimes even shout at) the innovative, yet disenfranchised derelicts who embody the ever-warring extremes of idealism and cynicism within fly-fishing.

Uh, I think he’s talking to us.

AKwallpaper1024x768 Miles is his debut author. Miles Nolte (aka Gaper) was a fishing guide in Alaska who detailed his daily adventures in a bulletin board thread on The Drake website. The thread, titled AK Chronicles, became so popular that throngs of people were logging on daily to follow his journey. His book, The Alaska Chronicles, is based on the now infamous posts on The Drake and will be available Spring 2009.

It doesn’t get more grassroots than that. The guy didn’t even start with a blog. He posted a thread in a bulletin board. It’s like the field of dreams….if you post it they will come….and read it. And comment. And rant. And beg for more. Let’s just say when it comes to fly-fishing, Miles Nolte puts the cult in culture.

Support your fellow troutlaws who are trying to shake things up and bring you something fresh. Visit the Departure website to learn more about the backstory and sign up to win a FREE signed copy of the book. This book is bound (hardbound in fact) to cause a stir and you could have a free signed copy. Just click here to enter your name for the drawing.

No duplicate entries and dead relatives are not eligible. Good luck and CHEERS to Tosh & Miles for laying it all on the line in an effort to entertain and make a difference.

Comments
22 Responses to “Dead Relatives Are Not Eligible”
  1. Brett says:

I’m digging this whole idea of a guy getting his big break from doing nothing more than making some posts on The Drake! Speaking of “The Drake” and thier, excuse me, no longer existant forum!? Any guesses on WTH happened there! I can’t find it anywhere! Cheers to your awesome blog! I always look forward to your posts and your worldly travels!

~Brett

2. Brett says:

Nevermind, strike the last (The Drake Forum)..For some reason I couldn’t find it last night…Located now, cuss me later!

3. Cameron says:

First, great blog. I think you travel more than I do. Second, Departure Publishing is a stellar idea and I’ll be watching how this endeavor grows. Sign me up for a copy of “The Alaska Chronicles”. That post was epic.

4. Brett — I agree. I think that fact that Miles’ book was born from the forum on the Drake is the scrappiest and coolest thing ever. Even better? He is a hell of a good writer. and btw, the Drake launcehd its revamped website this week and I know the forum was down for a bit. it’s back up

Cameron — thank you! I’m so grateful you enjoy the blog. And definitely sign up for a copy of Miles’ book. It’s going to be just as epic as the posts

5. Meetw/oFeet says:

I can’t tell you how much I’m looking forward to an entertaining fly fishing book! Well, more specifically one that is of a new genre and for/by a younger audience. Where do we sign up!?

Hope all is well.

6. FlyToons says:

Chick,
    Thanks for the tip. I like what this guy has to say. Also, check out my site if you can. Would love to link up with yours if possible. Enjoy your writings as well.
    Best Regards.

Very cool! Thanks for the lead. Hope you’re doing well. Haven’t heard from you in a while.

8. Derik says:

That looks super rad. Its allmost time to hit up the old Guad are you getting stoked? Maybe I will see you out there this year.

9. Thanks all! The book is going to be cool and I love the grassroots gutsy spirit of these guys. In case you missed the link to sign up for the drawing let me beat you over the head with it:

hope everyone is having a lovely day…

10. Pete says:

Looking forward to reading this one. Hoping it will do for fly fishing books what some of the recent stuff like Drift have done for Fly Fishing video.

11. Great blog, photos and articles. Most of my fishing is done in Canada. Thanks for sharing. Wishing you tight lines and big fish. Rick

12. G_Smolt says:

Hey Chick-

Gonna be down Austin-way in about a week, enduring the Inlaws. The Wife and I need every excuse in the book to get out of the house…we should hit Curra’s or Polvo’s and talk fish and interwebs over tacos one day.

13. Mike Ormsby says:

Fly Fish Chick

Once again you said it perfectly:

“Tosh is a venerable outdoor photographer and author who recently launched a new company called Departure Publishing. I’ll spare you the traditional press-release speak and say bluntly: This Is Not Your Father’s Outdoor Book Publisher.

Uh, I think he’s talking to us.”

This is a great idea for books/publishing — and FFC you are good enough to make that jump from blogger to author too

Tight Lines, Mike

14. rudy says:

i was wondering if i could via you a couple dollars via paypal to link to my blog in your blogroll/link section? let me know – thanks!:)

15. Not that I’m totally impressed, but this is more than I expected when I found a link on Delicious telling that the info here is awesome. Thanks.

16. Tamara says:

I usually don’t post in blogs but your blog forced me to, amazing work.. beautiful !

17. Fishing is a nice sport and it is a good past time too. I enjoy fishing specially during weekends..`’

18. Esme Fisher says:

fishing is an enjoyable hobby and a great past time.”~*

19. Best you could make changes to the page name title Fly Fish Chick » Blog Archive » Dead Relatives Are Not Eligible to something more catching for your blog post you write. I loved the blog post all the same.

20. there are many hobbies out there but there is no other hobby like fishing, fishing is every enjoyable :-*

21. eye cream says:

The face and eyes in particular are sensitive areas and can be
    affected badly by using cheap chemically based eye care products.
    As medical science advances, more treatment options are available.
    You don’t have to be a movie star to change your eyes from blue to brown or even from hazel to cat’s eye.
    eye cream recently posted..eye creamMy Profile

Trackbacks
Check out what others are saying...
  1. [...]    http://flyfishchick.com/2008/11/18/dead-relatives-are-not-eligible/ [...]