Let’s Light This Shit Up

I am in a mood.

I am bored, exhausted and uninspired. Despite several straight days of gorgeous Texas Hill Country sunshine and balmy temperatures in the 60s and 70s, I seem to be in the vice-grip of a cruel mid-winter malaise. I awakened this morning ready to conquer the day with my typical enthusiasm and vigor. Instead, I snapped. ‘Good Morning America’ did one too many stories about the ailing economy, and I just snapped.

I’m sick of it, sick of it all. Sick of my to do list. Sick of fishing for work instead of fishing for fish. Sick of hearing about one more friend who has lost a job. Sick of being scared about money. Sick of every day being just like the one before. Sick of hearing about the recession and poverty and foreclosures and layoffs and taxes and what Malia & Sasha ate for lunch. Absolutely sick of it.

To top it off Oprah is promoting a show that airs this afternoon about a woman who gave birth and immediately developed a flesh-eating bacteria that gnawed off all of her limbs.

Uncle. Fine, you got me. I’m depressed. I can’t take it any longer.

All this scary, negative talk is seeping into my soul. After the ‘Good Morning America’ show that downed my spirits like the Titanic I crawled back into bed and focused on all the things I’ve yet to accomplish this year. I mean we are one whole month into 2009 and I have not made a lick of progress on any of my new years resolutions.

I wanted to lose so much weight that my girlfriends would be green with envy and my family would contact A&E about booking me on ‘Intervention’ for my fabulous new eating disorder. FAILED!! I’ve actually gained weight.

I wanted to fish more. FAILED!! I haven’t fished once.

I wanted to replace my marketing freelance work with a kickass job that would actually pay me to travel the world and fish and tell stories. FAILED!! (Quit laughing.)

I wanted to train for a 5K. FAILED!! I ran one mile yesterday and my back hurts this morning. Great now I’m boring and old.

I swore I would do more day drinking. Ha!!

I wanted to write something on FFC every day. FAILED!! I wrote one post about tennis. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot….tennis. I’ve been domesticated, this is worse than I thought.

As you can see all this talk of gloom and failure is contagious. I feel I am but a shell of my former productive self, and fear that I am becoming a has-been poser of Daschle-proportion.

But wait a minute, what’s this….spinning on my ipod…oh now this is good stuff. No no no, I am totally committed to being in a foul mood dammit. I don’t need this rock-n-roll music distracting me from my self-flagellating diatribe. Ah, but I love this song! Maybe I should turn it up? Ooh, its sounds soooo good.

Maybe just a little louder. Maybe louder still?

Hmmm, now I will admit it’s hard not to smile when I listen to Cross Canadian Ragweed. In fact, don’t tell anyone, but I actually broke the rules of the Great Depression of 2009 and went to the Cross Canadian Ragweed show last Friday night in Austin.

Badass.

It was so nice to be in a dark club with a few hundred people singing song lyrics instead of quoting falling stock prices. People were bouncing their heads to the music instead wringing their heads in their hands.

Ragweed rocked and I rocked and I sang outloud and boogied with the best of them. Cody was fierce on the guitar and the sound system hurt my ears and the lights were too bright and it was all so perfect. It was rock-n-roll, allright. Badass nasty loud and fast and 100% American-made rock-n-roll.

And that, my friends, is worth getting out of bed for.

When Cody started the show he strutted to the front of the stage, cigarette tucked in his guitar strings, guitar slung over his shoulder and he shouted, “Hello, Austin Texas! Let’s light this shit up!”

Hear hear Cody, I’m in. Let’s do it. Let’s light this shit up. I mean there has to be more to being American than this freaking recession, even in the eye of the storm. Perhaps it’s rock-n-roll. So let’s set 2009 ablaze. Let’s tune out the press and amp up the soul. Stop the talk and start the movement. I mean there is nothing sexy about a recession for heaven’s sake, and it is boring me to tears! Rock-n-roll, however?…..well, let me quote you-know-who and simply say, “Let’s light this shit up!” Whatever that means to you, just light it. Ignite it. Let’s go. Fire up the grill, spice up the romance, burn the midnight oil, and turn up the tunes.

I’ll do it if you will.

Comments
25 Responses to “Let’s Light This Shit Up”
  1. Good friend of mine went thru something like this a few years back….didn’t last long after a girlfriend talk her into a long weekend to Mexico.

Music, drinks,tacos,more drinks,dancing, more tequila and then….she woke up with a pierced nipple and no idea who did it.

Cleared her blues induced depression better than any shrink.

Come on chik more shot of Don Edurado…never feel a thing.

2. frankly Monty I think that story did the trick. the day I wake up with a mysterious nipple ring…well let’s just say I am feeling pretty good about my life all of a sudden

although mexico sounds like a nice getaway

ha!! thanks for the boost. my christian bale-style rant is over. back to happy.

3. Lori says:

Ragweed (especially Cody) cures EVERYTHING! No lie.

4. Guido says:

GIRL… Like you’re the only one who hasn’t fished or have friends and family affected by all the bullshit going on! Get over it and COWGIRL UP!! If you haven’t or can’t fish , then plan somethin’! Get out the maps and set yur sights on someplace new. If nothing else, it gives you something to look forward to. As far as employment goes, get out there and pound the pavement till something pops!
    Love your blog but I can’t stand whinin’!

Guido

5. Wolfy says:

FC,

First of all, I love your blog and slant on life. That said, I too have been mired in a winter long funk. It was -2 this morning when I got in my car, for Christ sakes (outside of Chicago). Whe my son is moping around the house, I sing him a song that my mom used to sing to me when I moped – “Nobody likes me, everybody hates me, I’m going out eating worms.” The whole media fueled negativity campaign had me feeling like that myself. Until …

I read your blog. I chuckled to my self. Then, I actually smiled. Swear to God I did. Maybe FC is the cure we need.

I look forward to reading your posts – keep up the good work. You’re a good writer with a great outlook on life. Thanks

Wolfy

6. Don’t get out of the funk and crappy mood. Change your LIFE.
    Cheers

7. Alright I seem to have inadvertently led us off track here. Just to clarify, I’m not changing a thing about my life, I love my life and I’m grateful every day. Second, whining? Nope, I’m not taking that one. I had one crappy day and I vented…on my own blog. Which I rarely do.

Oh hell, maybe I was whining but I was trying to show that all this negative media is unhealthy! Perhaps my message was ill-developed but I was trying to point out that I need to lighten up because even the worst bad mood can’t hold its ground in the face of simple blessings that surround us…simple things, like a great song, can pull us up from any funk. And that one positive thing is stronger than all the collective negative white noise that is scaring us at every turn.

So rest easy, the mood has passed and I am AOK, business as usual! But thanks for all the well wishes.

Wolfy – many thanks for making me smile with the ‘Worm’ song. My best friend and I used to sing that when we were kids to lighten things up when someone was having a pity party. Perfectly played, my friend.

Lori – you’re spot on. CCR is the go to game-changer.

I hope everyone has a great day!!

8. Dave Ehster says:

Turn it up, put yer spurs on and read your blog from last Thanksgiving.

Ok! She’s back!(with attitude!) That’s the FFC we have been waiting on.

10. Dan says:

Ha ha! FFC, you always crack me up. It’s easy for us spoiled Americans (that’s what the Europeans call us) to forget everything we’re so lucky to have/be/whatever. This morning I read that Bill Gates sic’d a bunch of mosquitoes on people to scare them into thinking about how easy it is to contract malaria in the third world. I’m happy just to be able to go outside without putting on a bunch of DEET. Or getting shot at for that matter.

11. Day drinking is a worthy and admirable goal. But in direct conflict with all other listed goals besides fishing more. Better stick to those two.

Glad to hear you got go out to see CCR. They usually put me in a good mood, too. How’s the tennis going?

13. Kentucky Jim says:

Yeah, I feel the same way. Tired of listeing to all the bullshit. Where’s the story about Kentucky, anyway? And by God, I’m goin’ fishin’ this weekend, rain or no rain.

14. Fly Fish Chick,

Your writing and outlook is great kindling for getting people fired up! This blog post got me rolling this morning. Reading this made my day and it helped me bring a better outlook and attitude to others. Your pumped up type of optimism is contagious.

One thing I have been thinking about today as a result of your post is how many people sit back passively and let the news (mostly gloom and doom)hit us in the forehead. The Good news is out there we just have to go out and find it…catch it…or build it ourselves.

Where i live the rains are starting to fall. We’ve been in a water recession but now getting a small amount of moisture. Like Kentucky Jim I’m hitting the water this weekend rain or shine.

Thanks much,

Nick

15. Ricko says:

Well done , thanks , you definately did get the blood flowing again. Awesome !!

16. Mike Ormsby says:

FFC
    You were likely suffering from SAD, or seasonal affective disorder (quite common up here north of the border in the land of snow!!!!). But so were the few that got on your case for venting on your own blog!!!! They definitely need to “lighten it up”!!!!!

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:
    Seasonal affective disorder (SAD), also known as winter depression or winter blues, is a mood disorder in which people who have normal mental health throughout most of the year experience depressive symptoms in the winter or, less frequently, in the summer, repeatedly, year after year. The US National Library of Medicine notes that “some people experience a serious mood change when the seasons change. They may sleep too much, have little energy, and crave sweets and starchy foods. They may also feel depressed. Though symptoms can be severe, they usually clear up.” The condition in the summer is often referred to as Reverse Seasonal Affective Disorder, and can also include heightened anxiety.
    There are many different treatments for classic (winter-based) seasonal affective disorder, including light therapies with bright lights, anti-depression medication, ionized-air administration, cognitive-behavioral therapy, and carefully timed supplementation of the hormone melatonin….AND MORE FLY FISHING, FLY TYING AND ESPECIALLY READING FFC — SHE MAKES US LIGHT IT UP!!!!!

So I think it’s “SAD” that some others thought you shouldn’t “vent” on your own blog.
    Glad to hear you’re AOK – and really liked listening to Cross Canadian Ragweed (I checked out their website)… too bad we up in the Great White North couldn’t claim them as our own, eh?!?!? (put the “eh” there for Canadian content LOL LOL)…. But this CCR does kind of make me think back to another CCR….. either CCR is great remedy for SADdness and help us all light it up!!!!

Tight Lines, Mike

17. Mark says:

Well said!
    Come see us in Arkansas – the big browns of the Little Red are calling you…..and they love rock-n-roll!

18. I havent really followed any of my new years resolutions either, especially trying to fish more, I have only fished once in 2009 and barely caught anything. The day drinking has became a problem on the weekends too…:)

19. Mike Ormsby says:

Whether it’s the time of year that’s got you down OR day drinking becoming a problem (even on weekends) OR actually anything that ails you there is a 12 Step Recovery Program that is guaranteed to work to brighten up the very worst of situations — and it only takes 12 tiny little easy steps to follow:
    1) Get to the closest body of water, preferably with fish in it.
    2) Take a fly rod out of its tube and put together.
    3) Take a fly reel with the appropriate fly line on it for the rod you’ve just rigged up.
    4) Take a couple of casts with the rod to get the feel of the outfit in your hands — also good to limber yourself up too — and don’t forget to straighten out your leader as well as your line besides straightening out yourself.
    5) Study the body of water for any sign of fish — check water temperature, current, water conditions, or whatever you have to. But take the time to take in the surroundings. Maybe even see the ring of a rising trout on the water’s surface.
    6) Find the appropriate fly pattern for the type of fish that hopefully are present — doesn’t matter whether it’s a dry or wet fly, a nymph or a streamer. Just pick a fly and tie it onto your leader.
    7) Using waders or a boat or a flotation tube, or even just wet wading, get out on the water.
    8) Once out on the water, cast your fly towards where you might have seen a fish — maybe where that trout might have dimpled the surface or a bass is luking under a water lily pad or whatever species you’re after may be.
    9) Work that fly in the appropriate manner needed to fish with it — maybe a drag free drift of a dry fly or slowly working that nymph pattern at just the right depth — no matter what the presentation or technique used, work that water as you fly fish.
    10) Cover all the possible areas that look promising — then move on to the next likely spot on the water.
    11) Cast as often as you have to — take your time — just enjoy being out on the water — and fishing.
    12) If you should be fortunate enough to hook a fish, play it just right and finally land it — maybe take a picture — admire how beautiful that fish looks no matter whether it’s a bass or a bonefish or a carp or a pike or a salmon or a trout or whatever — remember to practise catch and release so that fish can make the same type of moment for another angler on another day too.
    Seriously fly fishing might not cure it all but it certainly can’t hurt — unless that fish you caught was supposed to be mine (LOL LOL).

20. lyrics says:

music is the one that no one would say that he dose not like. some or other kind of music every one in world like and love to listen them. so it is kind of individual choice of music one wants to listen.

21. I wanted to lose so much weight that my girlfriends would be green with envy and my family would contact A&E about booking me on ‘Intervention’ for my fabulous new eating disorder.

that is just too funny, you really made me laugh. I love the way you write!

22. Diet says:

I am very much concerned about your attitude… Try to change your approach towards life.

23. Faye Henrico says:

I saw your blog when I was searching for something not related at all, but this page showed up at the top of Google your web site must be insanely popular! Keep up the awesome job!

24. i have a friend who has eating disorder, she was rehabilitated when she almost died.”,~

25. eating disorders are of course sometimes deadly because it can cause the degeneration of one’s health ,”,