Don’t Hog The Hookah

caterp3 Alice in Wonderland is my favorite children’s story. Not just because I was in the school play in the 8th grade, but because the imagery remains illustrious and enticing even as you get older. You’ve got magic mushrooms and that crazy Cheshire cat, a caterpillar with a hookah, a birthday celebration just for the hell of it, and a race that goes round and round an island in circles with no beginning or end — an image that I’m sure hits home if you are reading this post from a cubicle.

Writing this blog and reading other fishing blogs feels like the best part of Wonderland, an imaginary place to escape with colorful characters and a healthy dose of why-the-hell-not. In which case, following this analogy, the recent Facebook phenom definitely takes on the title of Lewis Carroll’s sequel, Through The Looking Glass.

The social networking craze is like gazing into some trippy magic mirror, becoming intently obsessed with your own reflection and then falling prey to a compulsory need to magnify and replicate that image over and over and over again until more and more and more people pluck its wings and place it in a jar with their collection of other people’s images.

Trust me I know. I’m on Facebook.

Of course you may recall my vehement opposition to Facebook. What can I say? It got me in the end. My friends did a social networking intervention on me and forced me to join. And I’m glad I did because I recently learned a few interesting things:

Buster has a facebook page

Trout Underground has a facebook page

Departure Publishing has a facebook page

What?? Hey, I want a spot on the hookah!

Next thing you know I was tumbling down the rabbit-hole, drinking the little potion, eating the magic mushroom, and now I am here to tell you, FLY FISH CHICK has a Facebook page.

alice wonderland TO FFC In typical Wonderland fashion, I have no clue what to do with that page or why I have it. I don’t know why I am sending you over there when the whole point of having a page over there is to drive people over here and you are here already. Seems circumlocutory.

Nevertheless I am going to send you over there so I think we should work together to figure out how to use that page. Feel free to leave me a note, here or there, with any ideas. I would love to see more of your fishing pictures and hear your stories. See links to your sites. Maybe it’s nothing more than a satellite camp of Wonderland, an outpost for more banter so to speak. And that’s fine, we all need more whimsy.

Regardless, I would really appreciate it – if you are a Facebooker — if you would become a ‘fan’ of FFC on Facebook. Who knows? Maybe some of your Facebook friends will learn about the blog and join us in the fun over here.

I started this blog for two reasons: 1) to write entertaining stories, and 2) to learn more about fishing. So the more people we bring into this colorful cloud of smoke the better. There’s room on this hookah for everyone.

Comments
14 Responses to “Don’t Hog The Hookah”
  1. Tosh says:

C’mon Chick, get with it.

I’m offering free pony ride coupons to everyone on my fan list that’s holding a fish in their profile picture.

It’s all about the marketing.

2. oh Tosh, you’re just jealous b/c the blonde locks & my cocktail lure in more fisherman traffic than the traditional Grip & Grin poses.

what can I say…..you’re dealing with a former direct marketing diva here. but look at it on the bright side, we’re on the same team, my friend!

3. Fat Guy Alex says:

Its that thing that you throw at fish. Wait…. yea. Where are my cheetos?

4. to be clear….when I say HOOKAH, I actually mean HOOKAH. I’m not trying to say HOOKER with a street-wise affectation

from wikipedia:

A hookah is a single or multi-stemmed (often glass-bottomed) water pipe for smoking. Originally from alongside the borders of India and Pakistanthe hookah has gained immense popularity, especially in the Middle East. A hookah operates by water filtration and indirect heat.It can be used for smoking herbal fruits, tobacco, or cannabis.

5. Tosh says:

So it’s a bong?

6. Mike Ormsby says:

Grace Slick was so ahead of her time. Even for Facebook.

WHITE RABBIT- Jefferson Airplane

One pill makes you larger
    And one pill makes you small
    And the ones that mother gives you
    Don’t do anything at all
    Go ask Alice
    When she’s ten feet tall

And if you go chasing rabbits
    And you know you’re going to fall
    Tell ‘em a hookah smoking caterpillar
    Has given you the call
    Recall Alice
    When she was just small

When men on the chessboard
    Get up and tell you where to go
    And you’ve just had some kind of mushroom
    And your mind is moving slow
    Go ask Alice
    I think she’ll know

When logic and proportion
    Have fallen sloppy dead
    And the White Knight is talking backwards
    And the Red Queen’s “off with her head!”
    Remember what the dormouse said;
    “FEED YOUR HEAD

7. Tom M says:

Hi there…Just a note to let you know I follow your blog.I love the stories that you write and pass all of your fishing days and dreams.I am here in Cambell River B.C.
    We seem to be on a little different fishing scedule than most of the sites that I read.But as most blogs I read are from the United States this is to be expected.Was thinking of starting a blog but not sure as to what exactly I would put onto it. My whole family loves the outdoors and love to camp/Hike as much as possible…This could mabey be a place to start…
    Talk to you soon,
    Tom

8. Great stuff. Facebook creeps me out a great deal. Drives traffic like a mofo towards my blog though, so I can’t complain.

9. Derik says:

Cool load up the hookah. Where is my hose?

10. Jim@FFO says:

Yeah,
    Outside of having old friends from back in the pre-intertubes, funky 80′s days, track me down, I haven’t found much use for FB. The scary part was when old girlfriends started ‘poking’ me *shivers*. They’re out there and they’re watching….
    -Jim

11. Rick says:

Hey FFC,

With your dark haired side-kick, you should check out the Alice in Wonderland and Through The Looking Glass illustrated by Barry Moser. Both my girls were tow headed when they were little, but we got a big kick out of Moser’s rendering of his daughter as Alice. Beautiful versions of the stories, but I’m biased toward illustrations. Always nice to see something other than the Disney version.

Haven’t dipped into the FB pool as of yet. When I do, I’ll have to check yours out. Give us some follow-up on success/horror stories, please.

Rick

12. Rick — thanks for the tip. will check out the Moser version. And as far as the facebook report goes….so far so good. It’s a veritable groundswell. so far 177 people have signed on to the FFC FB page and people are starting to post THEIR fishing pictures over there which is an excellent use of the page.

love seeing all those fish pics….more more more, I say!

13. Arabian says:

Do you know where i can buy “mobile hookah” i know that in europe the are some. Im from russia. thx