Red Headed Stranger

The yellow-haired lady was buried at sunset;
The stranger went free, of course.
For you can’t hang a man for killin’ a woman,
Who’s tryin’ to steal your horse

– Red Headed Stranger

Most of the time Willie Nelson is sharing the stage with someone who’s picking the steel-guitar, but it seems this Willie Nelson gets picked to find the steel-head.

Wally Adams, a trout and steelhead guide, has developed a line of steelhead flies named for musicians. Good ones, too. Of course this fly, titled ‘Willie Nelson’ for obvious reasons, caught my attention.

It got me thinking. If the red-headed stranger would shoot a woman for trying to steal his horse, wonder what he would do if you killed a steelhead?

I know, I know. I’m late to the game on this whole heated discussion. How about we just listen to a little Willie instead?

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones
12 Responses to “Red Headed Stranger”
  1. itchy dog says:

Sage advice! Up here in the Pacific NW, a 30 lb native steelhead out of the Hoh River was recently killed and folks are up in arms about it. It’s an unfortunate thing for sure, but really I think more people just need sit back, listen to some Willy, and drink a beer. Maybe three or four.

2. Just listened to Reasons to Quit with Merle on the way in this morning. Another great song with a beer:

3. Monty Montana says:

Appropriate post…great music doings in Austin this weekend…and I’m sure we (ffc followers) will be greatly represented… songs, who in the hell needs a song to put them in a mood to drink (beer)?

4. BigCliff says:

Dood, its about mood enhancement, not creation.

RHS is such a great album, I felt the need to type in all of the track info into iToonz, since omnipotent Appul was omni-ignorent of such important facts. Jeebus.

Other fine songs by aforementioned artists would be ‘I can get high on you’ by Willie, and ‘great afternoon’ by Merle.

5. Richard says:

I’m curious what a Keith Richards fly would look like.

Still the best album ever recorded – hands down. Good post.

7. Mike Ormsby says:

“The yellow-haired lady was buried at sunset;
    The stranger went free, of course.
    For you can’t hang a man for killin’ a woman,
    Who’s tryin’ to steal your horse.”

– Red Headed Stranger

So the yellow-haired lady was buried at sunset, killed for stealing a man’s horse — FFC didn’t you have blonde hair in a picture recently?!?!? — just don’t get in too much trouble now getting those Austin Fly Film Tour tickets sold — we couldn’t get by without the FFC — by the way isn’t Willie the REAL DEAL or what!!! — maybe Willie should be Guv of Texas????

8. Tosh says:

RHS is definitely top five for me, but Viva Terlingua is the only one that I’ve actually owned in vinyl, 8-track, cassette, CD, and now mp3. I saw JJW play that one live not long after it came out (about ’74?) and it’s been with me for 30+ years.

9. Tosh says:

Damn, I’m old.

10. Willie is my hero. So many great days standing chest deep in the river throwing wulffs and jammin to Willie on the ipod.

11. BigCliff says:

Experienced, not old.

Like how I’ve decided I’m not fat. I’m well-fed.

12. MikeO says:

Big Cliff, experienced not old works just fine — like the song says “I’m not as good as I once was once I’m as good as I ever was”