Red Headed Stranger

The yellow-haired lady was buried at sunset;
The stranger went free, of course.
For you can’t hang a man for killin’ a woman,
Who’s tryin’ to steal your horse
.”

– Red Headed Stranger

Most of the time Willie Nelson is sharing the stage with someone who’s picking the steel-guitar, but it seems this Willie Nelson gets picked to find the steel-head.

Wally Adams, a trout and steelhead guide, has developed a line of steelhead flies named for musicians. Good ones, too. Of course this fly, titled ‘Willie Nelson’ for obvious reasons, caught my attention.

redheadedstranger

It got me thinking. If the red-headed stranger would shoot a woman for trying to steal his horse, wonder what he would do if you killed a steelhead?

I know, I know. I’m late to the game on this whole heated discussion. How about we just listen to a little Willie instead?

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones
Comments
12 Responses to “Red Headed Stranger”
  1. itchy dog says:

Sage advice! Up here in the Pacific NW, a 30 lb native steelhead out of the Hoh River was recently killed and folks are up in arms about it. It’s an unfortunate thing for sure, but really I think more people just need sit back, listen to some Willy, and drink a beer. Maybe three or four.

2. Just listened to Reasons to Quit with Merle on the way in this morning. Another great song with a beer:

3. Monty Montana says:

Appropriate post…great music doings in Austin this weekend…and I’m sure we (ffc followers) will be greatly represented…..beer songs, who in the hell needs a song to put them in a mood to drink (beer)?

4. BigCliff says:

Dood, its about mood enhancement, not creation.

RHS is such a great album, I felt the need to type in all of the track info into iToonz, since omnipotent Appul was omni-ignorent of such important facts. Jeebus.

Other fine songs by aforementioned artists would be ‘I can get high on you’ by Willie, and ‘great afternoon’ by Merle.

5. Richard says:

I’m curious what a Keith Richards fly would look like.

Still the best album ever recorded – hands down. Good post.

7. Mike Ormsby says:

“The yellow-haired lady was buried at sunset;
    The stranger went free, of course.
    For you can’t hang a man for killin’ a woman,
    Who’s tryin’ to steal your horse.”

– Red Headed Stranger

So the yellow-haired lady was buried at sunset, killed for stealing a man’s horse — FFC didn’t you have blonde hair in a picture recently?!?!? — just don’t get in too much trouble now getting those Austin Fly Film Tour tickets sold — we couldn’t get by without the FFC — by the way isn’t Willie the REAL DEAL or what!!! — maybe Willie should be Guv of Texas????

8. Tosh says:

RHS is definitely top five for me, but Viva Terlingua is the only one that I’ve actually owned in vinyl, 8-track, cassette, CD, and now mp3. I saw JJW play that one live not long after it came out (about ’74?) and it’s been with me for 30+ years.

9. Tosh says:

Damn, I’m old.

10. Willie is my hero. So many great days standing chest deep in the river throwing wulffs and jammin to Willie on the ipod.

11. BigCliff says:

Experienced, not old.

Like how I’ve decided I’m not fat. I’m well-fed.

12. MikeO says:

Big Cliff, experienced not old works just fine — like the song says “I’m not as good as I once was once I’m as good as I ever was”