About As Much Elbow Room As a Public Pool in India

overpopulation_pool1

The Missouri River is just a wee bit crowded these days. Water levels are low so the wade fishermen are back. Fish are turned on big time so guides are traveling here from other rivers — unfortunately some of them left their manners at home. The weather has been clear so the recreational floaters are out in full force. Parking lots are packed, Izaaks is slammed. Holy smokes, I’ve never seen it so hoppin’ in this town! But the teaming crowds were good business for our infamous lemonade stand at the Craig boatramp.

lemonade1

One of Little Chick’s customers, Ed Tinsley, is a former county commissioner and has a band called the Mudcats — you can catch them live this Friday at Trixie’s in Ovando.

ed-2

We had a brief reprieve from the crowds on Saturday as we hunkered down to decorate cupcakes, as is tradition on our Montana summer girls’ trips.

cupcakes2

We joined some friends — and a few thousand other people –  for the annual Symphony Under The Stars in Helena. Weather was sublime, ice cream was cold and the fireworks were topnotch.

symphony

Yesterday we floated the Missouri. Despite the drastic overpopulation of people, the fish were rising and my mom caught several on dries.

rainbow

brown

fish

last-fish

little-chick-rowing

Tomorrow….we fish The Blackfoot. Wish us luck!

Comments
16 Responses to “About As Much Elbow Room As a Public Pool in India”
  1. Monty Montana says:

Em’cupcakes…not we are talking.
    got my attention first thing this morning …right after visiting my dentist.

What’s up with these slimy, ungrateful, arogant flyfishing guides, they seem to be cropping up all over, met one on the Sacramento day before yesterday.

2. Anne says:

What a crowded but beautiful excursion you’ve enjoyed!

3. leo lantz says:

love your blog,just discovered it on facebook.

4. Shakir says:

Lovely blog…lovely people… lovely location

Cupcakes and trout-nice combo.

Can’t quite tell-is that the Little Chick on the oars?

6. Oatka says:

Sounds like a great time, minus the crowds. I love the lemonade stand at the boat launch!

7. Mike Herron says:

I love your adventures Chick you just never know where you are going to turn up next. That sure looked like little Chick on the oars. Good thinking mom good work out. What a great idea having a lemonade stand at the boat ramp. I have dropped boats in half the ramps below the Mason Dixon line and have yet to see a lemonade stand. I must have been using the wrong ramps. So based on Big Chick and Little Chick’s fishing fame I guess this would qualify as a celebrity lemonade stand. Good for you two making something fun for your daughter and mom too.
    I am getting ready to do a week on Penns Creek central PA. The flows are great and I need a break from the real world. Tight line ladies…. Mike <

8. Stacie says:

Tis that time of year. I call it Disneyland time. Hope all is great on the Blackfoot!! How’s that flow?

9. troutdawg says:

Cupcakes and Fishing, what more could you ask for!

10. Jonathan A. says:

Those cupcakes look way better than the ones at Sprinkles!

11. Mike says:

I loved the slide show nice fish I am almost out the door on my next adventure. Central PA where the trout are big the people are nice and the beer is cold. Where entertainment is as simple as betting on what color car is coming down the street next. Half the time it could be a buggy they don’t count they are always black.
    Anyway the new adventure will take me under the hemlocks on Penns Creek. Casting to the monsters in the shadows. Creeping along watching for the next rise. Stopping to have a sip of water and slide out of my pack. This trip will be a solitary trek a few miles off the beaten path.
    I frequently ask myself when can I do this every day. Would I tire of it? Could I afford to walk away from my life? I think the better question is can I afford not to?
    I know it is time to take a break I woke up the other night in the middle of a dream. Casting to a brown sipping Tricos in a small pocket against the bank. I made an up wind cast with a single mend and spooked him! I waited and waited for him to rise he came back with a sip and then another. I made my cast and laid the J right where I wanted. It was about that time my BFOC (Big Fat Orange Cat) Lilly Marie stepped on my head and woke me she wanted breakfast. I mean after all it was 4:30 in the morning.
    While I am sitting here rambling I actually am tying some nice juicy bugs for this trip. Beatles, Ants, Blue quills and if I can ever get the tails straight a hand full of Tricos.
    I can’t wait for your next installment keep us posted. Tight Lines Mike <

12. My first thought after reading your entertaining post were the beautiful cupcakes the girls made. All the other pics made me remember my childhood before all the commercial building took over our area. I love shopping, but miss the beautiful country side too! Looks like you had a blast.

13. Monty Montana says:

Lights, camera, action…what’s up with this s…, we have to read about our fearless leader on another blob …BOO.

Smile…what a stupid statement, the producers don’t know our girl.Can you amagine saying something so rediclous to FFC?

14. Mike says:

Hey chick the media is always toough smile I agree with Monty. I don’t think this realy an issue. Focus while casting is key. Chick you be you we have come to know you a little your heart is in friends family and fish. I love that it make you one of us our fearless leader our girl. The one who lives our dreams. Perhaps the best of us press on. I’m packing and tying for the Penns trip. Will look for your up dates I’ll pics from Penns chick. Tight Lines Mike

15. Kentucky Jim says:

Hope Little Chick made some money from her Lemonaid Stand. Looks like a good time was had by all.

16. Ken says:

I grew up in Helena, and I’m absolutely stunned how busy the Missouri is these days. Craig is like the fishing version of an old oil-boom town that had a population explosion. Surreal.