Megalops Megafun

There’s really no graceful way to ease into this announcement so I will just shout it out: I CAUGHT MY FIRST TARPON! Like all the way caught for real. To the net. You may have heard some screaming and commotion from the general direction of the Caribbean the other day? Well that was me on the flats off Ambergris Caye in Belize super-freaking out with a tarpon on the line.

DSC_0620

DSC_0630

A few years ago we fished in the Keys where I jumped a couple of baby tarpon, but I lost both of them. This Belize trip was the only other time I’ve ever had a chance to fish for them. On the first day we targeted tarpon in the afternoon. We saw well over a dozen and had a few shots, but no success. Our last day we actually focused on tarpon most of the time and while we saw plenty and had some more good shots, it was tough to get them to eat. Until finally I found a hungry, cooperative, delightfully aggressive tarpon that devoured my fly and gave us a show.

I was borrowing my husband’s 10wt and he uses a right hand retrieve so I am particularly relieved I was able to reel with my right hand, stay cool, and land the fish. Whew!

After much fanfare and celebration, the Professor was up next. Same rod, same fly, same mojo. Within thirty minutes he was hooked up. Not his first ever (in fact I think this was his double digit tarpon) but still very, very exciting. This day of fishing sent our already fantastic trip over the top.

DSC_0637

DSC_0642

IMG_6661

Over frozen rum drinks at happy hour we looked through the pictures and tried to figure out why there was so much pink on his tarpon. A new steelhead-tarpon species perhaps? Then we realized that my orange shirt was actually reflecting off the mirror-like scales as I snapped the picture. Pretty wild.

Major Takeaway: playing a tarpon is fun. Needless to say, I’m not just hooked, I am mega-hooked.

(Copyright 2012 by Christine Warren)

Tarpon. The scales, the jaw, the acrobatic jumps. Are these fish the definition of cool or what?

Comments
13 Responses to “Megalops Megafun”
  1. Brent says:

Great job!!!

Those are some beauties too! Looks like you guys are having a great time.
    Brent recently posted..Thank God for TailwatersMy Profile

2. Thanks Brent! It was a fabulous trip. We lucked out on the weather, we have the best guide down there. Belize is so easy breezy…and then….there were the tarpon. am still on cloud nine.

3. Rachel says:

Congrats! That is an awesome fish. I love the look of pure joy!! Cheers!

4. Erin Block says:

Fantastic! And quite deserving of a LOUD should, I’d say. :)
    Erin Block recently posted..No ManMy Profile

5. Dan says:

Fantastic fish! I had the chance to catch one years ago on conventional gear, I can only imagine how exciting they’d be on the fly!!

6. rachel– “joy” describes it perfectly

erin– thx! am not ashamed to squeal with delight like a schoolgirl for this. glad you agree

dan– I think any tarpon on any line would have to be a thrill. I feel so lucky to get to experience it

7. Nan says:

Way to go Christine!!! and Tom! Looks like fun!

8. k8 says:

FFC, what a great Tarpon, congrats! The reflecting colors on the Professor’s Tarpon are simply beautiful.

9. thanks k8!! glad you enjoyed the reflecting colors, I thought they were beautiful too

hope all is well in your world!

10. Katie Reissig says:

BIg Congrats Christine! I had a big one on my line for about 45 minutes in Key West Harbor years ago. It was like trying to winch up a grand piano. Killed my back, then broke off. Hubby has caught them in Belize also. Were you @ Belize River Lodge or El Pescador or …?

11. we stayed at Victoria House and fished with George Bradley, an independent guide. he’s the best, a really good person to boot

Trackbacks
Check out what others are saying...
  1. [...] Oh yeah, that’s a tarpon alright. I should know…have I mentioned I caught my first tarpon in Belize last November? [...]